Had An Accident?
If you had an accident,
you may use the following 6 step checklist:
1. Stop and check if anyone is hurt and call the police and ask them to send an ambulance, if necessary.
If someone is injured, unless you are a qualified professional, do not try to help them until professional help arrives, unless of course it is absolutely necessary to protect them from further injury.
If the police do not come then be sure to make a report within 24 hours at the nearest police station.
The report should explain the accident and identify the parties involved.
2. Exchange license and insurance information with the other driver.
You will want the other driver's name, address, phone numbers, driver's license number, insurance carrier, insurance policy number and phone number for the insurance agent which appears on the insurance card.
You should also note the make, model, year and color of the other vehicle and of course its license plate number.
3. As soon as you can, take a picture of the damage to your car.
Preferably at the scene but at home or at the shop is also acceptable.
4. If you had an accident inform your insurance company of the accident.
5. If you are injured as a result of the accident, you need to have a qualified medical examination, no matter how slight you think your injury might be because there are many injuries in an automobile accident that are not apparent at the time of the accident.
You want to be sure that you did not sustain any injury that may manifest itself until some time in the future and then you wonder why all of a sudden your back hurts or you cannot move your neck.
Also, try to keep a daily log of your medical condition listing each day any symptoms you have such as description of pain you feel, and any restrictions on your normal activities.
6. Get a competent legal opinion, no matter what kind of an accident you have been involved in so he or she can evaluate your case and inform you as to what to expect.
A knowledgeable attorney will know your rights affected by the accident and will be able to review the facts of your case before deciding what course of action to pursue.
The attorney can recommend appropriate medical treatment and negotiate on your behalf all of your damages, including your pain and suffering.
You can find out all this in an initial, no cost and no obligation consultation.
So if you had an accident, you now know exactly what to do.